Sunday, August 8, 2010

Total confusion....

Ok, I don't get it. Why is it that when you are going to be a new mom and you are trying to create a baby registry absolutely everything seems to blow your mind. I just want a car seat. Why do I have to choose between eight hundred car seats and how do you know which is best? Also, why are there a gazillion different gadgets and bottles and bouncers and whatever the hell you call everything? I get so overwhelmed in about two minutes that I just give up and say hey back in the day none of this stuff existed and babies were just fine. So, I am calling on all you moms out there. What do I need? I mean absolutely need, what can I not live without? My friend Laura told me I need a boppy and a bumbo which I got from my neighbor so the "b" toys are checked off. Noelle told me about the bottle sterilizer, that is on the registry. Other than that I am lost, and I mean lost. Thanks

6 comments:

katie k-h said...

I know what you mean! It's crazy! And, then the second time around, you realize that if you just have a few diapers, a pacifier, some clothes, a blanket, and a car seat- it's all good!

These are some of my favorites:

1. Jogging stroller. Doesn't have to be fancy, either. I think ours is InStep, or something like that.

2. My favorite brand of car seats is Britax. They are expensive, but FABULOUS! I have never looked at the infant ones, though, so a Graco one would be good to start with. Both of the boys got a Britax around the time they were one.

3. Onesies. Register for all sizes! They're awesome in the winter, especially when the little shirts ride up.

4. Get like one of those carrier/backpack things. They are great when you need to quickly cart the baby around without a stroller. Someone lent us a Baby Bjorn and I love it- used it all the time for Nicholas.

5. Bouncy seat for sure, that's where Nicholas slept for like three months.

6. Pack in Play for when you travel....

7. Car seat cover, it fits over the car seat and is like a blanket. You'll want one because you'll still be lugging the baby around in the carrier throughout the winter.

8. Register for a cheap, cheap "umbrella" stroller. They're like maybe ten bucks... It's nice to have one when the baby is older for things like the beach, etc.

9. I wouldn't register for this, but nursing bras come in VERY handy. So do some of the nursing tops... less exposure!

10. When you pick out a car seat, try to get the whole "system," which would include the stroller, as well. The car seat will snap right into the stroller when the baby is teeny tiny.

11. Exersaucer. Those things are crazy looking, but we've used ours to contain N. for almost fifteen months.

Good luck!! I hope I get invited to your shower!! I'd love to be there and to see your belly. : ) ♡ There's nothing as wonderful as having a baby.

Lots of Love!

kate

katie k-h said...

One more thing... a glider/rocking chair. We use ours all the time! ; )

Miss ya.

Beach Bum said...

Yeah, thanks Katie, finally some great ideas.

Noelle said...

Hey! It was SOOOO great to see you last weekend! So going off what Katie said...we have a Chicco car seat system and it's great. It's highly recommended for its safety too. Register for an Ergo. It's a carrier but it's WAY more comfortable to use than the bjorn, at least I thought so. Definitely register for a swing and if you can get one that swings front to back and side to side, those are the best. I'll send you more as I think of them!

The Fultz Family said...

Definetly DIAPERS you can never have to many. If he grows out of them before you open them you can take them to wal-mart and exchange them for a bigger size.

I really liked the wipe warmer after all who wants a cold wet wipe at 2:00 am.

Didn't really need a diaper gene (breast fed doo looks worse than it smells)

Something called a buggy bag was great it covers those nasty carts and gross restaurant high chairs I still use it when we go to costo because the cart seat is so big. LOVE IT!!

As Katie said the baby bjorn was great...hands free for shopping and evrything else.

The ultimate was the medulla breast pump....totally a labor of love (and expensive) but I didn't have to buy a single thing of formula.

Hope this helps give me a call sometime and I keep me in mind when you have your shower.

Unknown said...

Congratulations! How exciting...we are so happy for you guys! I remember registering when I had Kaitlyn and how confused I was...I actually took Jennifer with me bc I had no idea what to get! I agree with everything Katie and Noelle said. We have the pack n play that has the changing table attachment...it helped so I could have the baby downstairs a lot since I had a c section with both ( and soon all 3!) Then the baby learns to sleep in a crib like atmosphere instead of the swing. It really helped! Register for a very very good breast pump. I bought the Medela pump that has the let down mode...pumping can be stressful and an expensive well made pump helps. If you can borrow one just ask for the hoses and attachements when you are in the hospital. Instead of a bassinet I got a small pack n play. They are with the bassinets in Babies R Us...it was made by Graco. I love it! I can then take it with me if I go anywhere when the baby is still small and not have to lug the huge pack n play with me! Buy a really good thermometer! I love the Safety First ones....they are quick and when taking a temp on a sick baby you want to get done fast!
Also, about the car seats...go on Consumer Reports they have the best up to date reviews on the car seats. We got the Graco Snug n Ride bc then it was the safest one rated....then we got Kaitlyn the Britax Marathon and now she has the Graco 3 in 1.

Hope this helps! Congratulations again! Such an exciting time!We can't believe we are getting ready to do this for a 3rd, but final, time! Take care! Ryan