Saturday, January 9, 2010

Frustration

Well, for those of you I have not told...I have been diagnosed with asthma. My doctor's exact words were..."At any given time 10% of the population has asthma and 10% of that whole have asthma all of the time. You are part of that 10% that has it all of the time." Great. My exercising has been put on hold really since October. I was attempting to run and do body pump from October through December with much pain, coughing, discomfort, and misery. Now, I am on a costly regiment of antibiotics (to get my sinus issues under control which only hinder my asthma) and two different inhalers. I feel like a medicinal toxic mess. I did run for the first time in about 3 months on Thursday afternoon, but I was still frustrated because I have to tote my rescue inhaler in the gym and then keep it on the treadmill for all to see. People are probably wondering what in the world I am doing on the treadmill in the first place, oh well gotta get back in shape. I am hoping to run the Apple Blossom 10K in May. If the regiment of antibiotics and inhalers does not work by May it is on to bigger and more costly efforts, shots. The shots are new but have been helping people in my position. However, although they may help they are monthly and range from $1,000-3,000. AHH, not quite on a teacher's budget. So, right now I am really happy to be feeling a bit better, getting my asthma under control, not coughing all night long, sleeping, and sleeping with my husband at that. I will let you all know how it goes as the time goes by.

1 comment:

katie k-h said...

Danielle,

I am so sorry! What you are going through sounds awful, especially knowing how much you love to run and exercise. I hope the medicine does the trick and that you are back to normal soon. The sleeping part must feel great- I can't imagine tossing and turning all night. Thinking of you...

Love,

kate